Thursday, August 19, 2010

Kid Friendly Veggie Dish - Tomato & Potato Bake

This is my spin on a dish served at so many family get together's growing up that I had sworn to myself to never eat it again. But, when you really don't feel like cooking, a simple all veggie dish is quick, easy to prep, and easy to clean up.

So, all I did was add some spice and color to the tradition dish (at least in my family) of Potatoes, Mushrooms, and Onions. It is super easy to make, and you can feed a lot of people without a lot of input, either physically or monetarily.

My version goes like this:

4 medium all purpose yellow potatoes (any kind will do), diced to bite sized pieces
1 large beefsteak tomato (any variety with good flavor), diced
1 large vidalia onion, rough chopped
1 large handful baby bella mushrooms, rough chopped
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
olive oil
butter
salt
pepper
sugar/molasses

Very simple. Once everything is diced, throw it in a casserole dish. Top with about a tablespoon of olive oil and a couple pats of butter, salt, pepper, little bit of natural sugar/molasses (whatever you have), and any spices you would like. You could try fennel, or rosemary. Personally, I did not add a whole lot of extra spice to this dish. It is so simple and so good by itself.

Toss everything together again and place in a 350F oven. Once the potatoes get a good crisp top to them, cover the pan with foil and finish baking until everything is tender.

I served this topped with shredded Parmesan cheese. The kids just gobbled it up. Even my dear hubby didn't complain about a vegetarian dinner. Must have been filling. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment