Okay, so about a year ago, I decided that we no longer needed a microwave. Not really sure what my reasons were at the time, but I have to say that I haven't missed the thing. (we donated it to a local women's shelter). I think we (I) decided to get rid of it after reading about all those chemicals in plastics leaching into the food when you cook it in the microwave.
So, 1 year later...haven't missed it at all...but we have had to do some readjusting. The first issue that came up was popcorn, of all things. We were buying the ones you cook on the stove with the tin foil tops, but those are kinda expensive. So we eventually moved to buying it in the big containers and cooking it in a cast iron dutch oven on the stove. Still haven't gotten the 'movie popcorn' flavor, but I don't think that's a natural flavor anyway...I'm satisfied. We do our defrosting in the sink or in the fridge, and reheating on the stove or in the oven.
All in all, I say that microwaves are just a waste of money, a waste of counter space, and a burden on your health. Just some thoughts to consider. I will post some links on the dangers of cooking in the microwave a little later. Time for bed now, got church in the morning.