Thursday, May 27, 2010

It's Not Bribery, Is It?

Bribery, as defined by Webster's Online Dictionary, is the act of giving or taking a bribe. Okay, next word. Bribe, as defined by Webster's Online Dictionary, is money...given...in order to influence the judgment or conduct of a person in a position of trust; something that serves to induce or influence.

So technically, what I am doing with my girls is bribery, maybe. It could be considered an allowance, who's amount is based upon the amount of chores completed and how well they were done. Chores can included watching little brother for 5 minutes while I take a shower (the 1st in 4 days), taking diapers to the trash (so I can get the new diaper on baby boy before he sprays me, and to save me a trip), picking up toys (there really is no other way to get them to do this. they've told me they'd rather me throw them away before we started this).

So what's the payout. Well, that depends. Never more than $1 each, unless it's something funny, like sending them to dog-pile on hubby when he just layed down, thinking I didn't see him sneak into our bedroom. Most time's it's a few pennies to a quarter. Whatever I find in the wash. They aren't getting rich from this, I can assure you.

They also lose money. Our middle child, Waterbaby, likes to play with stuff. Doesn't matter what it is, as long as it isn't a toy, she wants it. And apparently watching stuff flow down the drain in the bathroom sink is more entertaining than an hours worth of cartoons because I emptied that jar and couldn't replace everything she dumped in a course of 2 days. They also lose money for bad behavior, like back talk or not sharing.

So, what are your thoughts? Do you give your kids an allowance? How much? When did you start (forgot to add, my girls are 4 and 3), do they have to do anything to get it?

Thanks for weighing in on this. Its always nice to know what others in the parenting bubble are doing.

1 comment:

  1. i am with you 100%!! We have a "chore chart"...they get a quarter for most of the things...if they do a REALLY good job and get most, if not all, of their chores done (feeding/watering dog, cleaning up toys, making bed, keeping room or bathroom clean, helping with dishes, etc.), then we'll bump it up to a few dollars...sometimes it works, sometimes not. Can't blame a mom/dad for trying! ;)

    ReplyDelete