Saturday, January 9, 2010

How to Boil an Egg

I know what some of you are thinking....how hard is it to boil an egg. Well, trust me, it's harder than you think. But after years of watching the cooking shows on PBS, I finally got it down. So here it is...How to Boil an Egg (the Jaque Pepin way).

Place your eggs in a pan with cold water. Make sure the eggs are completely covered. Salt the water if you wish.
Put the pot on the stove and turn it to High.
Wait for the water to start boiling good.
Put a lid on the pot, and turn the eye off. Set your timer for 8-9 minutes.
When the timer goes off, immediately take the eggs off the stove and submerge them in ice water. This will stop the cooking process.
Keep them in the ice water until completely cool (of course, you can eat them while they are still warm, but do not let them sit and stay warm, as they will over cook.)
Once they are cool, store in the fridge. I don't let boiled eggs sit in the fridge for more than about 3 days. I've had food poisoning more than once, and do not take chances. If you find some info on exactly how long it is safe to keep boiled eggs in the fridge, please let me know.
If, when you peel the eggs, there is a green line around the yolk, then the eggs are overcooked, and will have a slightly off smell. You can still eat them, but they will not be as good.
Hope this helps.

Peace and Love,
from the swamps of the PeeDee

2 comments:

  1. LOL I have had that green line so mnay times b/c I DO NOT want under cooked eggs!
    This was a great post for me:)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog today, I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I never know there was a correct way to boil an egg. Thanks for enlightening me!
    BTW, thanks for visiting Smallburst.com and for the awesome gourd tips!!! Greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete